21 Essential Guidelines On Google Website Optimizer
By: Matt Bacak
Google Website Optimizer is a tool used to create experiments with the aim of testing conversion rates. A user sets up experiments on various components of pages and Google serves various versions of the pages to visitors.
It has great advantages, as it tests with the real market. However, as a newbie, one would wonder how to go about Google Web Optimizer. What can one test with it? What should one look out for? These are essential questions to any website owner. I have laid out 21 essential guidelines on Google Web Optimizer. These can help you get a great idea on optimizing your website.
What to test
1. You can test the size and shape of the logo.
2.You can test the position as well as the color of the headlines.
3. You can test the colors of your website.
4. You can test the calls to action on your sites.
5. You can test the body copy: the size of the fonts and the font color.
6. You can also test the layout of the website.
7. If it is a product page, you can test the images used – their sizes and positions.
8. You can test the number of related products to show and where to place them.
9. You can test the field labels and the forms on your page.
Google Website Optimizer can actually test anything on your website. You instruct Google web optimizer on what to test and that’s it. All you will need after that is wait for the results. You will notice a variation on the versions you will put up.
However, beginners find it hard in getting value out of Google website optimizer. Below is head start information which you can use to make the most out of Google web optimizer.
10. Where to start: I recommend you start with the worst pages. Optimize them first.
11. Focus on having visitors interact with your site. Make them move from one conversion funnel to another.
12. Try testing anything with Google website optimizer. Do not overlook elements. You will come across helpful changes.
13. Try segmenting the visitors to your website as you test your users on Google web optimizer. You could use regions or traffic sources in segmenting.
14. If you doubt anything, test it.
15. You can also try what your competitors are doing and test them with your site.
16. Have simultaneous tests. This will save you much time and improve your optimization rates.
17. Google Website Optimizer runs tests as long as you want. You should keep the time frames for your tests as short as possible.
18. Make sure that all your goals are well laid out when starting a test with Google Web Optimizer. This helps in aligning your tests with your goals.
19. Test regularly. People’s tastes change quite rapidly. Economic conditions also change. Don’t ignore these.
20. Brainstorm various ideas and test them with Google website optimizer. You might amaze yourself.
21. Engage other people in your test ideas. They can be your workers, friends etc.